Friday, May 30, 2008

Geoff at NTC continued

Here is the update from California. He hasn't been able to write as often because of not having service on his phone. Just about one more week left and he will be home. YAH!!! Don't forget 
- = P.

If anything happens with Ellie and I and I don't have the ability to call. This is how you get in touch with Geoff (if he doesn't answer his cell phone): 

Call the Red Cross and tell them the situation and tell them you need Geoffrey Miller and this is where he is:  B troop 1st squadron 108 RSTA roster number mil6619 FOB Dallas NV470982 FT Irwin CA

5-26-2008 

The -ast few days have been interesting. First we had medical training on the 23rd. We learned a new way to control bleeding that was discovered by s-ecial o-erations forces. Its cool to know something that big Army hasn't found out about. We also watched videos on the royal marines in afghanistan which was neat. We've gotton several briefs on Afghanistan and what to ex-ect in real cobat. Some of the SF guys have had 3 tours in afghanistan so they have a lot of knowledge we really want to hear.  On the 24th we went to our convoy livefire area. We did a cou-le of dry runs. We then went to a mortor range and fired mortors, 240b, and .50 cal machine guns. It was a great feeling to just get out of the truck and start shooting. Normally when we are not with SF we have to go through a ton of useless safety stuff.  This is when Dusty and I climbed the mountain to call you. Yesterday, the 24th we went to our convoy livefire range. My SF team let me run the livefire mission which was great. We waited for the night mission for five hours and then the range got canceled. We got a helment camcorder from our SF Commander. We tried to film our livefire but had tech difficulties. We have it figured out now so we should be able to get some cool footage. I want to get some footage of a direct action hit on an enemy com-ound. We'll see. The highlight of my day was talking to the SF sni-ers about shooting and reloading. These are the only guys in the Army that actually know what they are talking about. Right now we're growing beards and wearing desert camo uniforms to start getting into our roles of host-nation forces that are getting trained by SF. On our FTX we will fight with SF just like host nation forces. Today was a recovery day and we drove HMMWVs to the Commisary and -X. I got yelled at by a LTC with a bad attitide for -arking our vehicles in the wrong area. What a tool bag. Like we maliciously -arked in the wrong area. Anyway, maybe we can get some cool video footage. That's what's going on. Ho-e you're having a good time and I'll talk to you soon.

5-30-2008

Hello! Here's the lowdown. We arrived at our forward o-erating base yesterday just afternoon. We moved in 26 vehicle convoy for about an hour. It's very dusty. When I check my G-S I have to clear the dust off so I can read it. Everybody was mad when we got here because of the conditions but it's no worse than anywhere else. It's another tent but just a little smaller. The cow at the fob is better than it was in the other area but still army food. We got out of bed this morning at 4am to hel- an active duty unit. We were ther security element in a city called four corners. They have hired 250 actual iraqi contractors to live there. When we rolled in there was a huge mass casualty situation. There were real am-utees acting as the wounded soldiers and civilians. It was a little disturbing but realistic. I sent my HMMWV and another one to the front of the city and the other two to the back. All of the gunners were shooting bad guys and I took a stack of dudes into a house and killed two dudes. Josh Lasley got shot by a sni-er and one of our vehicles got hit by an IED. Everyone reacted well and we out-erformed the active duty guys by far. The SF team was im-ressed and Mays got the two back vehicles on helmet-cam. Tomorrow we have a quick reaction force mission so it should be chill unless Danny gets lit u-. Dusty is at a different fob so we haven't seen him in a few days. Our new commander wants me to stay here in B troo-. The commander of the 48th BDE came by looking for me today to talk to me about it but I was out on a mission. I've never had an 0-6 trying to find me. Ho-efully this will set me u- for a com-any command. I want to command an embedded training team when we de-loy if we don't go as a com-any. If I did that I would only have 16 dudes but we would get an Afghani Batallion to train and fight with. Anyway, more about that later. I'll try to find some service tomorrow and give you a call.

No comments: